Wednesday, August 08, 2007

The God of so much more...

Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably MORE than all we can ask or imagine, according to His work within us, to Him be the glory… (Ephesians 3:20)

Well, the God of “so much more” has been at it again in my life. For all those feeling discouraged today about things not working out the way you thought they would, let me encourage you that God’s plans truly are so much better than our own. I’m really learning that every time MY plans get canceled here, it’s because God has something so much better in store (sometimes I have to wait a while to find out what He’s up to, but it’s always incredible). So, here’s my latest story…(sorry it’s a bit long)

I was planning to go to Uganda for 3 days with some Kenyan friends this past week, but at the last minute they realized their passports had expired and we couldn’t go. I knew God must have something else planned for those 3 days, but had no idea what. And boy did he ever! I was sitting at lunch sharing with our director about how God has been stirring up a passion for unreached people in my heart these past 8 months. (By “unreached”, I mean people who have never had a chance to hear the good news of Christ, never heard the name Jesus, have no Bible in their language, and no church to go to for answers). He recommended spending some time with his friends who have been serving among an unreached tribe in Northern Kenya for the past 12 years. I said I would love to. He called them right then and there and they said, “Can you travel tomorrow? We have a car driving up tomorrow and you can hitch a ride with them (it’s about a 10 hour BUMPY drive up to Lodwar where they live). We’re taking a team out to the bush for two days and you’re welcome to come join!” I said I was up for it and then had 2 hours to pack and prepare to leave at 6:45am the next morning.

And what an adventure it was! I got to make the 10 hour drive with an incredible lady who has been serving among the Turkana for the past 11 years. It was so fun to hear her stories of all the struggles, joys, and victories of her time there. Then I arrived to Lodwar where I got to stay in the home of Greg and Mindy Yost (12-year missionaries to the area), along with 10 other Pioneers Missionaries who were doing a scouting trip to the area (Pioneers is another missions agency that sends people to unreached areas all over the world). I was so blessed to sit around the dinner table with this amazing group of people and hear miracle story after miracle story of how God is bringing people into a life-giving relationship with Him. We serve a MIGHTY God and I realized on this trip how much I limit Him and how small my faith is sometimes.

I learned about Diviners (witch doctors who control all the people) among the Turkana who received dreams from God telling them that a man was coming with a black book that had THE TRUTH in it and to look for him. I learned about the first churches being planted among these people as a missionary just read through the Bible with them as his text for learning the language. He started in Genesis, and by the time he got to Luke, they had already started 4 churches on their own without Him even knowing or providing any teaching yet. Simply from hearing the Word of God themselves, they knew this was the Truth, fell in love with God, and knew they had to start spreading the good news to others.

We actually only spent one day out in the “bush,” and it was quite an extreme experience. First of all, it was HOT! They said it was a cool spell, but 100 degrees didn’t feel like such a “cool” spell to me. Those of you who know me well know that I’m addicted to water and drink it non-stop, so the heat was a stretch for me. I kept chugging water the whole time, but still felt dehydrated most of the trip. We drove 2 hours into the middle of nowhere (no roads to follow, just desert sand, a few shrubs here and there, and lots of goats and camels). Finally we arrived to the “meeting tree” and held a biblestudy and prayer time for the many people who gathered. Then we all had a goat roast together over an open fire under the stars. And THEN, the drums started. It was pitch black out with the just the fire light and the most amazing stars I’ve ever seen in my life providing our light, and the drums signaled it was time for church! Church starts around 10:00pm and often goes through the entire night. There’s no building – the people just gather under the stars and jump, sing, testify, read God’s word, and pray together. It’s mostly jumping and singing with the other things thrown in every half hour or so. It was INCREDIBLE to worship God with these new believers in the middle of a desert land that has been controlled by Satan for thousands of years. It was an experience I will never forget, but by 1:00am I was ready to stop jumping (it was one of the best work-outs I’ve had in a long time). I think they stopped the service early for us Wazungu (white people) because they could tell we were fading. Finally, around 3:30am I fell into bed in my tent completely blown away at the gift of the day.

My heart was moved on this trip and I have an even greater desire to be out serving among the people of this world who have never had the chance to hear the gospel. I saw such a hunger for the Truth and knowledge of the One True God. Many villages in Turkana are now finding abundant, eternal life in God, but they are illiterate and cannot read the Bible for themselves yet. They are asking for people to come and read them the Word of God every day. They are so hungry for it and will do anything to hear God’s life-giving words each day. (They also told us that as long as someone reads the Bible to them, the demons can’t come and speak to them or torture them. But if they go 2 weeks without hearing the Word of God, the demons come back and torment their villages). Some of the saved Turkana are now going out as missionaries into Southern Sudan, Somalia, and Chad. They met one tribe in Southern Sudan who somehow obtained two cassettes of sermons in their language. The village gathers every day to listen to these two cassettes over and over again. It’s all they have of God’s word and they can’t get enough of it. The most prized supplies for the village are batteries so they can keep the cassette player running each day.

There is a suffering, lost world out there yearning to find the truth, and God has given us the commission to bring it to them. He’s waiting on us to bring his Hope to every tribe, tongue, and nation, and THEN the end will come (Matthew 24:14). He’s waiting on us; they’re waiting for us; what are WE waiting for? I was thinking about how hard it would be for me to move to an area that hot (where I have trouble thinking because I feel so dehydrated), where all they eat is goat meat (and I’m definitely NOT a meat person), and with huge spiders and scorpions combing the ground. But you know, the heat of northern Kenya is NOTHING compared the heat and torment of Hell, and it’s nothing compared to the cross that Christ went to for us. As followers of Christ, we are commanded to deny ourselves, take up our cross, and follow Him. 2 Corinthians 5:15 says, “And He died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for Him who died for them and was raised again.” Are we really willing to do this? To deny ourselves, to leave our “airconditioned” comfortable lives to suffer a little 100 degree heat and a few scorpions so that others won’t have to suffer the flames and torture of Hell? “Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.” John 15:12

Someone told a story in church today about a pig and chicken who wanted to help the starving people in their village. The chicken said, “I know, let’s provide a big breakfast for them of eggs and sausages!” The pig looked at the chicken and said, “Yes, it’s a good idea, but you only have to make a contribution by providing the eggs. I have to give my life to provide the sausages.” So many of us are content to be the chicken and simply make a contribution here and there that doesn’t really cost us much. But Christ calls us to be the pigs who are willing to literally lay down our lives for the suffering in this world.

I’m processing a lot right now and am really praying through where God is leading me next. I’m pretty sure it’s going to be to an unreached area, but I don’t know the details of how, when, or where yet. All I know is that my heart has been stirred deeply and I’m willing to go where He sends me. I’m learning about a bunch of different opportunities right now I would love your prayers as I continue to seek God’s guidance. And I pray that your heart is stirred to seek what He may be asking of you and the role He wants you to play in bringing His Hope to EVERY tribe, tongue, and nation.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nicole Sanchez said...

Thats a great and inspiring story. Im so proud of you, and everything you've done. Im glad I finally found you.
God Bless
Nicole Sanchez (Hernandez)
nickisanchez24@yahoo.com

9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home