Friday, July 15, 2005

Going to Church! There is praising today in the house of the Lord.


I absolutely love Kenyan Church and one service in particular really touched my heart. It started during worship. As I looked at the dozen people leading worship from the front of the room, I spotted two special friends in the group. Betty and David were both AIDS patients who I had visited earlier in the week at their homes. My eyes filled with tears as I watched these two worshipers sing praises to their God. I knew that the 2 mile walk to church probably took more energy than they had to give, but here they were, leading their church in worship, singing with all their heart. “God is so good,” they sang with radiant smiles. Betty is a widow and worries about who will feed her kids once she dies, but she remains steadfast in her hope and trust in God. She will continue to praise Him until the day she dies. Wow!

My tears and amazement only increased as it came time to take the offering. I humbly watched shoeless, hungry Christians bring their last pennies to give to their God. The widow’s mite was given so joyfully. But the real blow hit when the pastor took a 2nd offering for a fellow church in the Sudan. The 20–year war in the Sudan has left the country completely devastated. The people have absolutely nothing to start over with. I cried as I watched these already struggling Kenyans commit to buy a couple plates, or a hoe to help their brothers and sisters in the Sudan who have it worse off than them. Talk about generosity. Talk about sacrifice. Talk about love! Lord, help me learn from them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home