Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Who am I, Lord?

A huge part of my summer in Kenya was learning who I am. One day as I was heading back to my hut to do more work on my computer, one of Kenyan friends said, “Kierra, you are ever working. I don’t even think you know who you are. You don’t have time to know who you are– you only know your work.” Her words pierced me and I knew she was right. I didn’t know how to relax and stop working because I found my identity in what I did. I didn’t know who I was when I wasn’t working. So, I began to pray, “Lord, show me who I am.”
He gave me many answers to this question throughout the summer, but the loudest answer came through the Kenyans. Whenever a Kenyan would introduce themselves at church or a meeting, they would say, “I’m so and so, and I am saved. Jesus is my personal savior.” It was so simple, and yet so profound. For the Christians, their core identity was found in the fact that they were saved; they were a child of God.
So often in the States we introduce ourselves and say, “I’m so and so and I’m a teacher.” Or “I’m so and so and I’m a doctor.” It’s because we find our identity in what we do. But I learned this summer that first and foremost, I am Kierra Higgins and I am saved. I am a child of the King of Kings. I am a citizen of heaven. And that is more than enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home