Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Abundant Life


I know that many of you are asking, “What’s next Kierra? When are you heading back to Africa?” Sorry, but I’m asking those exact same questions to the Lord myself! The future is still a bit of a mystery to me. As much as I love speaking in the States and providing ways for others to be involved in bringing God’s hope to a hurting world, my heart still longs to live in Africa full-time. But as I look into opportunities to do that, specifically working among unreached people groups, I continue to sense that it’s not quite God’s timing for me to move into that season. I know it’s coming, but for now He’s still calling me to serve Him and the people of Africa stateside. There is a book He wants me to finish, ways He wants to prepare me, and lives He still wants to touch through me here.
So while my heart longs to be overseas, I am learning to be faithful to serve in the place God has called me to now. I’ll be honest: some days it’s a struggle. But I find hope and strength in Colossians 3:4 as God reminds me of the lessons learned during my sickness. In this verse, Paul promises, “When Christ who is your life appears, you also will appear with him in glory.” During my eight months of extreme sickness, The Lord taught me the secret of abundant life through this verse. You see, Paul says, “When Christ who is your life appears,” not “Christ who is a part of your life.” Christ must become our entire life, and when He does, we will experience abundant life in any and every situation. Because in Him is life and He will never leave us or forsake us. If He is my life, I will always have abundant life - whether sicker than a dog in bed for eight months, working in the States, or living in Africa.
If I make “ministry in Africa” my life, then this season in the U.S. may feel void of abundance. But if Christ is my life, then I have just as much abundant life here in the States as I will when He relocates me to Africa one day. It’s so tempting to make other things our life: our ministry, our family, our friends, our jobs. But those things will never fully satisfy and they can be taken at any moment. I invite you to join me in this journey of making Christ our lives and finding life to the full in any and every situation.
Does this summer hold a trip to Africa? I hope so! Though it won’t be as long as my typical trips, I’m hoping to spend about a month there re-connecting with staff and friends, collecting stories to bring back to the States, and helping out with our few interns and teams. I don’t know the details or dates right now, but I’ll keep you updated. What I do know is that this summer and the coming year will be filled with abundant life in Jesus Christ my Lord!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home