Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Higgins Family in Indonesia!


That’s right! In the month of January the mighty Higgins foursome reunited in Indonesia, laughing and loving in true Higgins form. Though not all went as planned (I truly believe they could make a box office hit movie “Higgins Family Vacation” from the adventure!), we had a blast being together again and seeing Kristen in what has been her “home” for the past eight months.
I must admit that this was a deeply humbling trip for me and I definitely left the islands with a new hero - my sister! I embarked on the journey priding myself in being a hard-core traveler and expert in cross-cultural ministry. Well, on arriving to a humid land of foods that didn’t agree with my stomach and heat that stole all my focus and energy, I found that I’m not as hard-core as I once liked to think - in fact, I can be quite the wimp. But I was amazed time and time again as I watched Kristen lay down her life for the people of her city, joyfully embracing discomforts to love others with the selfless love of Christ. Let me share just one example that I pray challenges you as it did me:
The fan in Kristen’s room quickly became my favorite attraction, and I was dumbfounded to learn that this treasure was a new addition to her possessions. She had lived in unbearable heat and humidity for six months with no fan! “Why?” I asked. Her reply was heartfelt and genuine: “The family I live with can’t afford a fan (a $3 purchase) so I didn’t want one either. I want to live life with these people on their level. I don’t want to be the rich American who can come over and buy whatever luxury I want. I want to break down the barriers that separate me from them - not create walls. So I bought them a fan for Christmas and bought myself one as well. Now we all have a fan in this house!”
Kristen, thank you for your example of selfless love. Thank you for the reminder of the kind of love we are called to. Thank you for laying your life down for others. You’re my hero, girl!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home