Monday, July 07, 2008

What I've Been Up To

Speaking - Thanks so much for your prayers for my preaching time at Sun Hills Church in Sacramento! God gave me a clear message for his children there about the fullness of life that He longs for them to experience, along with every other person on this planet. It was a joy to watch him move in many lives that morning - including my own!
I also had the joy of recently sharing at a VBS where the theme for the week was ‘Love Ilula” (one of the Kenyan villages we work in). The children spent the week doing odd jobs around their homes and neighborhoods to raise money to help us care for our 96 orphans in Ilula. It was amazing to hear parents tell about the attitude shift in their kids throughout the week, especially in Wal-Mart and grocery aisles. Suddenly children who used to whine and complain for every toy in the store were educating their parents about children around the world who don’t have toys or even food most days.
Still Writing - Though the process is slow, my book is still coming along. I am now completely finished with the first 7 chapters and should have the next three finished soon! The last five are works in progress, but I’m hopeful that I can finish the entire first draft by September.
Oh friends, as I listen to God’s heart and write, I am learning much about the fullness that he longs for us to live in. He longs to give you a life-transforming revelation of His love so that you might be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God (Ephesians 3:19). He longs for us to live, serve, and love out of fullness! So often we do these things out of obligation, duty, guilt, or a striving spirit. But His heart desires to overflow your cup with His intoxicating love and fullness and for your life to simply be characterized by the overflow of that cup. The world doesn’t need to see more striving Christians - it simply needs to taste and drink of the living water that freely overflows out of our cups.
Training - I’ve been blessed with the opportunity to receive and give a lot of mission training these past few months.
The training weekend in Colorado was amazing! My ideas about community development, discipleship, empowerment, and the Kingdom were deeply challenged, stretched, deepened, and transformed. I came away from the weekend with such a heart to truly disciple people as Jesus did and lead them into an experience of His Kingdom in every area of their lives. I want to see His Kingdom come to transform communities across the globe!
It has been fun to also provide training for our teams and interns who are heading to Africa this summer. I love getting to challenge our short-termer’s mindsets about their purpose in going, their focus during their time in Africa, their approach to ministry, and the attitude of their hearts. It’s fun to watch light bulbs turn on in people’s eyes and the heartbeat of God begin to beat with their own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home